Thursday, September 18, 2008

offical mumps warning.


I am shocked and dismayed by the events that have taken place in our home. RJ had the mumps unoffically. Day 1 (saturday) he woke up swollen on his check. He had woken up complaining his ear and throat hurt the night before. So I took him to urgent care. "No big deal", they told me. Just an ear infection and some infection in his check. Antibiotics will be fine and, sure, go around other people. Well, by Sunday night, after I had taken him to church, it was getting a lot worse. So we went to the ER. No problem they said. Called it Cellulitus, pumped him full of IV antibiotics upped his dose of antibiotics from the urgent care doc and sent us on our way. Day 3(Monday) we see our pediatrician. Oh, it looks like Mumps he said. I freak out. Who the heck gets mumps!?! After some more blood work we find out Tuesday that it is highly possible it's the mumps. We won't know for sure for another week because no one around here tests for the mumps because no one gets the mumps anymore. I am disgusted with myself as a mother because I took him all over with kids. I am disgusted with the medical field because he was misdiagnosed twice. Thank goodness he was the happiest sick kid out there. Only discomfort when he slept but he never acted sick. Ran and jumped with the best of them. Swelling is now gone. Let's all cross our fingers that in a week the results come back negative and the crazy antibiotics really cured him!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

poor little guy. Hope he is feeling better!

Knudson said...

Howly Cow that sounds like par for the corse here. but who would hav suspected MUMPS! you have a good doctor who has been around a while and seen a lot! the young ones have probably just heard of mumps as we have!! I know nothing about that either! how do you get rid of them?
GOOD luck there!
Rebecca

Steersies said...

Geez! That looks rough! That is definitely one for the scrapbook. I hope that your kiddos are healthy for you this winter, unlike last year. Poor Nava kids!

music player